Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pattern review: Varsity Cowl Neck Pullover by Peek-a-boo Patterns


Part two in my plan to sew just one thing a week for my owlets and try to get through all the amazing patterns that I have (ahem!) accumulated.

I was so lucky to win 5 Peek-a-boo patterns from the Cass Can Sew blog. I had to comment with my favourite patterns and then they were the ones sent to me when I won. In some ways, I might have chosen different ones but you know I’m kinda thrilled to get what I selected because it has pushed me to sew things I wouldn’t normally – does that make sense?

So this week, I tried:

The Varsity Cowl Neck Pullover by Peek-a-boo Patterns

 
Love the simple combination

After making something for Miss 4 last week, I made a concerted effort to make something for Master 6 this week. I really need to make things for him more often as he just loved the attention, getting to model and having something made by mummy, just for him!

So one thing I have learnt in the first two weeks is that I really need to measure my owlets before I start to sew. I usually cut everything out when they are asleep though so it doesn’t always work out that I can!

Could he look more excited that mummy
made something just for him?
I made the size 8 in this pattern and it is really too big for my skinny 6 year old. I used fleece so thought it would be better to be bigger. Going over the top of other shirts in the cold winter months. It really is too big though however he can grow into it so better to be bigger than too small. If I make a jersey one for him, I will definitely go for size 6 (they go up in even sizes) so it is more fitted.

I was trying to get a shot with the sleeves up!

I’m probably going to start gushing now but this pattern came together sooooo easily. I already had everything cut out ready to sew together on the weekend (we were a little busy so I needed to find time) and it only took me about an hour to sew.

I thought I had sewn the cowl part wrong. It just didn’t make sense to me. I even started to unpick it and then realised that I had it right! I did add a little topstitching to help it sit down properly (don’t look too closely as it is a little wavy on one side – sewing with knit is hard!).

A little wobble on the topstiching

Will I make this again? - absolutely. The pattern is from size 6 months to size 10 so will get a lot of mileage from this one. I already have an order (from him!) for an Essendon Bomber style shirt, black with a red angled stripe (his footy team). I’m also curious to see if I can make this girly for Miss 4. Nice to have something that is just for him though.
Will I make this to sell for Lil Pip? - unfortunately no. I just can’t source knit fabrics in Australia that I would be happy to use on something I put my name to.  

Always one silly photo to finish!



Fabric: Just a dark grey fleece and red jersey knit from Spotlight. 

I’m not really sure what I will be making this weekend. I better start planning!

1 comment:

  1. It looks great Jane! Always better to be bigger than smaller! After 2 weeks, I finally managed to get Hannah to try on the shrug I made her (she's so fussy with clothes atm!) and it's too small!!!! lol.
    Great to see you using the patterns :) I love peekaboo patterns, I've found them really good to follow.
    Can't wait to see your girly version of this pattern xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...